Delivering exceptional ductless HVAC installation, repair & maintenance to families and businesses of Atlanta for over 20 years
In recent years, a growing number of homeowners and businesses are discovering the many benefits of ductless air conditioning.
Often referred to as "mini splits," ductless A/C offers an alternative to traditional residential and commercial cooling technology that provides a more cost-effective and attractive solution for applications where the use of ducted air conditioning machinery would be impractical or unaffordable.
Talk to the experienced residential and commercial ductless HVAC contractors at Gagne to find out how much it will cost to install, schedule a maintenance visit and more.CONTACT US TODAY
Reviews of Our HVAC Contractors with Ductless Repair & Installation Experience
How Does Ductless A/C Work?
Similar to a central air conditioning setup, a ductless mini-split system has an outdoor unit that contains the compressor and condenser. Interior blowers are installed inside to provide cooling and heating (if the system is setup with a heat pump). The blowers are connected to the outside unit through an exterior wall conduit and operate independently of one another.
Most modern ductless A/C units come standard with several energy-saving features, such as:
- Programmable timer and sleeper mode
- Multiple fan speeds for dehumidification
- Reusable filter
- Auto changeover if configured as a heat pump
- Wireless controller
Because of these features and more—not to mention a lack of ducts, which can contribute to 30% of a home's energy consumption due to leaks—ductless A/C is one of the most energy efficient cooling systems in the market today.
Help, My Ductless A/C Unit is Broken!
Is your ductless split system in need of repair? Our emergency A/C repair team is composed of NATE-certified, Georgia-licensed, factory-trained contractors who are ready to respond promptly and professionally to your residential or commercial HVAC needs - including broken or malfunctioning ductless cooling and heating systems.
Though modern ductless A/C technology is highly reliable, every once in awhile a unit or part may malfunction or break down like with any other air conditioning system. Common ductless split system problems include:
- Compressor issues
- Indoor blower problems
- Refrigerant or condensate drain line leaks
- Poor drainage
- Clogged air filter
- Worn out bearings
Whether you need an emergency repair or seasonal maintenance for your ductless A/C system, our Atlanta residential and commercial HVAC contractors are here to help.
When Do You Need a Ductless A/C Split System?
Ductless split systems are highly versatile and can be great solutions for a number of different scenarios. For instance, perhaps you already have a primary whole-home air conditioner, but dust and debris that naturally accumulates in ductwork is aggravating your allergies or asthma. Or maybe you have a basement that gets too cold and are looking for a more comfortable and safer solution than a space heater.
Many businesses and organizations also take advantage of ductless A/C by supplementing their main heating and cooling system. This reduces their energy expenditure overall and increases cost savings in the long run.
Common applications for ductless a/c systems include:
- Room additions. When central A/C is unable to sufficiently cool an add-on room of your house, a mini-split system can be an affordable and effective option.
- Garage, attic, or basement renovation. For basements, attics or garages, sometimes installing A/C ductwork is impractical or unwanted. If you're doing a home renovation and want to cool off or heat up your basement, attic or garage, consider installing a mini-split AC system.
- Supplemental cooling. When your central air conditioner is undersized or the ductwork is defective, a ductless split system may be the answer.
- Whole house. In new construction, split A/C can be combined with the architecture of the building or home to improve indoor comfort levels, eliminate hot/cold spots and maximize energy efficiency.
Regardless of your residential or commercial challenge, the installation of a ductless split system can often be a seamless solution.
What Are the Benefits of Ductless Heating & Cooling?
- Improve efficiency. A/C duct leaks, holes and loose seals are responsible for up to 30% of energy consumption in the average home or office. By getting rid of ducts altogether, homeowners and businesses can eliminate this common energy waster.
- Easy installation. Compared to other HVAC systems, getting a ductless A/C system professionally installed is a simple, straightforward and relatively inexpensive process.
- Reduce your footprint. Eliminating wasted energy and maximizing efficiency is not only good for your pocket book, it's also environmentally friendly!
- Save money. Greater energy efficiency directly translates to financial savings on your monthly energy bill. While paying to have a new ductless split system installed requires upfront expense, this investment will quickly pay itself off through consistently lower heating and cooling bills.
- Greater control. With central heating and cooling system, you typically only have one thermostat that controls the temperature of the entire home or building. Ductless A/C puts more control at your fingertips by having the ability to easily change the temperature in each room or zone and avoid those pesky hot/cold spots.
How is a Ductless Split System Installed?
Installing ductless A/C is a fairly straightforward process. It doesn't involve a major renovation or having to sacrifice a nice view for a bulky window unit. Like central air conditioners, split systems have two primary components: an outdoor compressor and an indoor air-handling unit (blower).
The indoor unit is strategically mounted high on the wall of each target room or zone where it is out of the way and blends neatly into your space. Once placed, it quietly and efficiently pumps cool, treated air from the outside compressor into every corner of the room. In commercial spaces, there are options for ceiling-mounted or in-ceiling systems as well.
While you can certainly attempt to install a ductless split system on your own using one of the many DIY installation guides found online, we recommend leaving it to a professional HVAC installer. Trying to install a complex indoor air comfort equipment without proper experience or knowledge can result in poor efficiency levels (at best) or a broken system (at worst).
What's Involved in DIY Mini-Split AC Maintenance for Homeowners?
With regular maintenance and care, your ductless mini split HVAC system should last anywhere from 12 to 15 years, at least. Homes in areas with higher humidity or salt levels may have to replace their ductless system sooner. Mini split AC systems work best in temperatures from 14°F to 109°F. The best way to prolong the lifespan of your mini split AC equipment is to change and replace your air filters regularly. Doing so will ensure that your system runs efficiently, prevent sudden breakdowns, and help keep the air in your home clean during all seasons.
Other DIY maintenance and cleaning tips for your ductless mini-split air conditioner include:
- Trimming up vegetation and picking up debris around your outside unit (compressor)
- Ensuring there is a sufficient place for channelling excess condensation
- Wiping down your compressor with a cloth (they can overheat when excessively dirty)
- Pressing the reset button (often at the bottom of the control) if your remote stops working
Looking For a Ductless Mini-Split A/C Contractor Near Alpharetta & Metro-Atlanta?
Gagne's HVAC-certified contractors will gladly install a ductless heating and cooling unit you have already purchased, or show you the wide range of Carrier duct-free split systems that we have to offer. For over 100 years, Carrier has been a leading innovator in modern air conditioning, and all of their ductless systems—from compact residential units to high-performance commercial systems—have unmatched SEER efficiency ratings.
We service and install all the leading brands of ductless units in and around the Atlanta-metro area, including Alpharetta, Buckhead, Canton, Cumming, Sandy Springs, Woodstock and other nearby communities. We also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on emergency heating and cooling repairs for any type of HVAC crisis.